Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fannie Lou Hamer

 
I am Fannie Lou Hamer. Daughter of sharecropper parents and the youngest of 20 children. Yes 20 children. My parents needed to get as much help to work on the feilds. I was always on the fields so I never received any sort of education. When I finaly learned about my rights that summer 1962, I was outraged that I was  never told about these rights I had. In a Freedom School that summer I became literate and joined the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). From there on I vowed to fight for my rights. I was a part of every march from then on and when we were protesting, I made sure to be the loudest one. I even helped found the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party in 1964 because my state, Mississipi, only had white representatives. I did not let anthing stop me from fighting fr my rights. I was beaten and arrested so many times but I never let that stop me. I kept fighting until I could no longer fight off the deadly disease of cancer. Cancer stopped me on March 14, 1977. I was born in Mississipi and I died in Mississipi fighting for my rights. 


No comments:

Post a Comment